lunedì 28 aprile 2014

To espresso or not to espresso...that is the problem

When I first came in London two years ago, I was shocked by how people had coffee: they were stand in line waiting to receive a big carton cup and when finally they had this "bucket" full of a strange black liquid, that they called coffee, they run away.
The very first day in England, with my almost-husband, we decided to go in one of the most famous brand of coffee shop, that I am not going to mention to don't make free ads,  just to have a coffee. We thought to sit on one of the fabulous sofa and order, but then we realized that we had to order at the till. So we queue up and when our turn arrive I say "Two coffee please." Then, I don't know why, the girl at the counter start to ask me thousand of questions like " Do you want espresso or Americano? Single or double? Take away or stay in? Macchiato? (that is an Italian word, but she sound like Chinese for me) etc... And in my mind I was like: C'mon girl, I am just asking a coffee, it's not so difficult to understand!,  but instead  I've just muttered something like "Mmm...What, sorry...don't know".  So the girl, that seemed pretty impatient, told us to take a look at the menu and stand aside while we were ready to order. I was like Hey sweetie, I've decided already, we want two bloody coffee!, but I just said to her "Ok". So we decide to look at the menu: a big board with oodles of beverages. When we finally understand how to order we come back to the girl, sure to don't receive any other silly questions, and proudly I say: " Two single espresso macchiato, stay in, please!" And she starts again: " Something to eat?" Oh my God, please! This is worse of the security checks at the airport. I have a quick look at the food. Cakes, muffins and pastry of all kinds. I don't want to stand aside again so I answered "No, thanks". But the cruel girl continues : "Ok then, what's your name?" WHAT? Do you want also my passport? I smile and answer to her: Federica and Domenico. We finally pay and wait...after almost one hour...to receive two big carton mugs with written on it Fredrika and Dominiko. We sit, sure to enjoy our moment of break...but eww! The coffee is disgusting. It has just the colour of an espresso, but the taste is horrible. We had to go through all this to drink this shit?
Now, I understand that for many of you could be an excessive reaction, but for people like me, that use to drink every day the most amazing espresso in the world, that coffee was nothing but eww! Luckily for us I put in my luggage my cool red coffee machine and a kg of Lavazza.

Now, I am telling you this, because I want to share with you how in Italy(especially in the south)we use to drink and enjoy coffee. As lunch or dinner, coffee break is a moment when people meet and relax together. My mum always say that if you want to really enjoy coffee break, first of all you have to take it seated. For me this is gospel truth. I can't have coffee stand up, tastes different when you have it comfortably seated...believe me! We need just little cup to drink our espresso...better pottery, we don't like carton or plastic material.


So now I am going to show you how to use and make  the best espresso ever with the coffee machine that you can use at home.

What do you need:


                                                                                                                                                         

 a coffee machine









ground coffee






How to proceed:        

STEP 1: fill maker with filtered wate
STEP 2: check that the water arrives at the same level shown in the picture

STEP 3: place the filter and make sure to remove the excess water
STEP 4: put coffee in the filter
STEP 5: close the coffee maker with the top and make sure is well screwed
STEP 6: put the maker on the stove at a low temperature (we want our coffe creamy and not burnt taste)
STEP 7: when the coffe start to come out just reduce a bit the heat
STEP 8: turn off the stove when the coffe is completely come up
STEP 9: pour the coffe, put in your favourite little mug, add sugar as you like and enjoy!

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8
Step 9

This is how I make coffee! I like this way because the coffee come up really strong...perfect particularly in the morning to wake me up or in the afternoon....to wake me up again! 


From now on I want you to enjoy your coffee break seated, with a little cup full of good espresso and if you want you can add an amaretto or cantuccino, if like me you are a non-smoker. If you smoke, the cigarette after is just perfect!

My collection of coffee maker: big , medium and little
My amazing set of hand-made Vietri pottery coffee cups and tray.



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento